External Floppy Issue

Hardware topics for all 68000 Ataris (260/520/1040ST(FM), Mega ST, 520STE/1040STE, MegaSTE, STBook and Stacy)
jdunlap

External Floppy Issue

Post by jdunlap »

Hello all! I recently acquired an Atari 1040 STf from Ebay whose internal floppy drive was not working correctly. After jumping through some hoops, replacing the floppy with a Gotek, and replacing the permanently affixed floppy cable with a floppy connector port, I have the ST working with the Gotek. However, now I would like to have the ability to use a second external real floppy. I have an adapter that converts the 14 pin din to an FDC connector, and I have that drive now responding only to B: when I try to use it. However, every time I tried to write to it, I got a Write Protect Error. I found this fix on Exxos and have applied it. I now no longer get the Write Protect Error, but now when I run the floppy test on the diagnostic cart, I get a bunch of Bad Sector errors. When I try to format from GEM, it says that the drive is not responding. The disk is fine as I can format it on a PC, and I have tried several different drives with the same result. The model I am using is a Panasonic JU-256A216P, which is a 1.44 MB drive, but it should be able to read/write 720K disks.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should try next?